How to legally build a Glock compatible pistol using a Polymer80 frame in Michigan

I wrote about this also in my post about starting a Polymer80 build but thought I would break it out for people who just need to find out about this one thing – how to legally build a Glock compatible pistol using a Polymer80 frame in the state of Michigan.

For those of us in Michigan, we know we have some additional laws on pistols that other states do not. To be honest, before I started this project I wasn’t really sure that I could even do this legally so I started researching.

Before I go further, I’d better give the legal disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. The procedure I am going to outline is for a non concealed carry permit holders. I do not have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) and my understanding is that the process is different and easier if you do have a CPL. Making registrations easier is yet another reason that I want to get my CPL this year.

Let’s Get Into The Details

To do this legally in the state of Michigan is actually pretty straightforward. First, you need to go to your local Sheriff and get a pistol purchase permit. I called first to make sure I understood where to go, what I needed to bring and so forth. All they wanted was my drivers license at this point and they did not want me to bring in any thing having to do with the pistol and definitely not the pistol itself.  This is not like the old days when you had to take your pistol in for inspection – you are just picking up forms after they run a background check on you.

The lady I talked to on the phone at the sheriff’s department was very helpful but she wasn’t sure what to do until I told her I was building from an 80% lower. When I asked her what I should do in regards to the manufacturer, model and serial number she recommended that I contact the Michigan State Police firearm records division and for your reference, their number is 517-241-1917

The folks I talked to there on two separate occasions, instructed me to complete the purchase permit form with the maker as “SELF-ASSEMBLED”, model as “NONE” and serial number as “NONE”. I filled out the rest of the information in regards to the caliber, number of shots, barrel length, overall length and whatnot same as always. I then mailed the forms in to the address at the bottom of the form.

My local Sheriff’s department was very helpful and recommended that I wait until I was done with the build because the purchase permit was only valid for 30 days. I confirmed this with the Michigan State Police Firearms Records division and they too were very happy to help.

I wrote this post to get rid of the fear uncertainty and doubt that some people seem to have. You can do this. To be safe, I would urge someone from Michigan to do their homework and confirm my findings so you can legally enjoy your resulting pistols just like I plan to.

6/30/20 Update – If you have a Michigan CPL it is even easier. Call your local sheriff’s department — in my case, I call the Sheriff’s records department — and tell them that you plan to build a pistol and that you have a CPL. They literally have a form they can email you to fill in, sign and mail back to them. At least the Berrien Country Sheriff’s department does. They then complete it and submit it to the Michigan State Police. The really nice thing was that I did not need to go into their office last week. Your sheriff may handle things differently but do point out you are building it and have a CPL if that is the case.

Note, I have to buy all of my parts – nothing here was paid for by sponsors, etc. I do make a small amount if you click on an ad and buy something but that is it. You’re getting my real opinion on stuff.

If you find this post useful, please share the link on Facebook, with your friends, etc. Your support is much appreciated and if you have any feedback, please email me at Please note that for links to other websites, I may be paid via an affiliate program such as Avantlink, Impact, Amazon and eBay.